Visit the Holy Hokkaido Shrine and Acquaint Yourself with Shintoism
In this experience, you will get an explanation of Shintoism and the history of Hokkaido Shrine, including the frontier spirit in Hokkaido at the second gate, which is the most famous gate because it is thought of as a sacred power place.
Upto 10 people
- Learn about the history of Hokkaido Shrine
- Purify yourself by washing your hands at Temizuya
- Understand the Shintoism culture and traditions
- First, I will start explaining about Shintoism and the history of Hokkaido Shrine including the frontier spirit in Hokkaido at the second gate which is the most famous gate because it is though as a sacred power place. I will continue explaining while walking along the front approach (300 meters long) toward the front yard of the main shrine building.
- Then I will explain that we should purify ourselves by washing hands at Temizuya, meaning a Shinto water ablution pavilion before we pray. After that we will proceed to the main building. Then I will demonstrate how to pray in front of gods.
- After prayer, I will move to the shop selling Amulets, Ema (votive picture tablet) and Omikuji (written fortune) and explain about them. Also, I will explain about our daily lives related to Shintoism and our traditional customs by using ISC. For example, parents take their kids to a shrine to pray for their health and happiness when they reach 3, 5, 7 years old. This is a ritual called Shichi-Go-San. We take a baby to a shrine when a baby reaches 100 days old to pray for a baby’s happiness. People often visit Hokkaido Shrine to obtain divine blessings.
- Please have a good internet connection and the Zoom app installed on your phone or laptop
- The instructions to join the meeting will be sent via email shortly after the booking
Know before you go
- Please sign in to the Zoom app five minutes before the beginning of the experience
- This tour involves walking to various places, and at times the internet connection may be weak. However, we will attempt to minimize such disruptions
- You can book this tour for 75 USD for a group of 3 screens OR as a private tour for 125 USD and invite up to 10 friends and family to join this activity with you from all over the world. You will see the option to book this experience as a private tour on the checkout page if it is available for that time slot
- Since these are live tours, they may be subject to last-minute cancellation due to inclement weather, Internet disruptions or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Since these are live tours, they may be subject to last minute cancellation due to inclement weather, Internet disruptions or other unforeseen circumstances.
Meet your Host
I live in Sapporo city, located in the northernmost prefecture in Japan. I work as a licensed tour guide, medical interpreter and dentist. This time I'd like to serve as your tour guide and introduce the Japanese Kimono culture. I have obtained a national tour guide license in 2009 and a Hokkaido regional tour guide license in 2010. I've been working as a tour guide for 9 years since 2012. I took care of tourists mostly in Hokkaido prefecture and Aomori prefecture (south of Hokkaido prefecture). I'd like you to deepen the Japanese culture and enjoy my Kimono experience.
From USD 75 / Group
- Fully refundable in case of any cancellation upto 2 days before the tour.