Stroll through the most famous landmarks of Riga
If you’re looking for an engaging and informative tour that covers the complex history of Riga but also explores what it is like to live here today, then this is the tour for you. Of course, I’ve made sure that we don’t miss any of old Riga’s most famous landmarks on our walk, including St Peter’s Church, Town Hall Square and Dome Square, but don’t expect a dry history lesson.
Upto 10 people
- Real-time experience streamed live from the charming streets of Riga
- Insights into local life, Latvia's independence and even the origin of the Christmas tree
- Visit the Dome Square, Town Hall Square and more amidst stories, legends and trivia
- See the street used in the filming of the Russian production of Sherlock Holmes
If you are looking for an engaging and informative tour that covers the complex history of Riga and explores what it is like to live here today, then this Online Experience is perfect for you!
Join me on this specially-curated virtual tour that will take you to Old Riga's most famous landmarks while also making you privy to the surprising origins of the Latvian language, the fate of churches during the Soviet occupation and the little known history of Latvia’s symbol of independence.
We will begin our walk from the Town Hall Square, one of the most important parts of Riga that was completely reconstructed following the damage it sustained during the Second World War. As we look at the various notable buildings located here, such as the Town Hall and the House of the Black Heads (which used to serve as the headquarters of a merchant group of the same name), I will share with you an arresting historical overview of the city.
We will admire an important structure which symbolises the importance of Riga as the birthplace of the Christmas tree. Walking through a quaint cobbled street that has featured in many a movie and television show of late (such as the Russian production of Sherlock Holmes!) and admiring the unique architectural style of the houses that line it, we will reach the Duomo Square. This is the biggest square in town, but it was not always so - there is an interesting story behind it that I will share with you on our walk. Within the square is located the13th century cathedral which lends it the name, and see the plaque that recognises Riga as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. After exploring the Duomo Square, we will make our way to "The Three Brothers" - a set of architecturally similar buildings - and then admire the parliament building with its special statue of the Bear Slayer.
Finally, we will cross the Swedish Gate and enter the New City. Walking along, we will learn more about the local Russian community and the daily life of people in Riga. Our tour will end at the Monument of Freedom, which features several statues of important figures from Latvian history and mythology.
I look forward to hosting you on this tour!
About this experience
- Please have a good internet connection and Zoom app installed on your phone or laptop
- The instructions to join the meeting will be sent via email shortly after the booking
Know before you go
- Please sign in to the Zoom app five minutes prior to the beginning of the experience
- This tour involves traveling to various places, and at times the internet connection may be weak. However, we will attempt to minimize such disruptions (only for outdoor tours)
- You can book this tour either for 60 EUR for a group of 3 screens OR as a private session for 110 EUR for up to 10 screens joining this activity with you from all over the world. You will see the option to book this experience as a private tour on the checkout page if it is available for that time slot
- Since these are live tours, they may be subject to last minute cancellation due to inclement weather, Internet disruptions or other unforeseen circumstances.
Meet your Host
I have lived in Riga for most of my life and have worked as a certified professional tour guide in Riga since 2015. During this time, I have lead around 1000 walking tours for tourists from all over the world. In addition, I am pursuing a masters degree in Political Science and have attended various seminars/courses on the architecture and history of Riga. I would love to show you around this exciting city!
From USD 67 / Group
- Fully refundable in case of any cancellation upto 2 days before the tour.