Learn About the 'Pilgrim Fathers' of Rotterdam
We will start with a stroll through Delfshaven, the area of Rotterdam from which the Pilgrim Fathers in exile sailed in 1620 to Brittain to embark on the Mayflower to the United States. We will continue with a 5 minutes boat ride on a high-speed water taxi through part of the harbour to end the tour at the world's first floating harbour.
Upto 10 people
- Interactive walking tour live-streamed from Rotterdam
- Stroll through Delfshaven as you hear interesting anecdotes about Pilgrim Fathers
- See the world's first floating harbour and enjoy a virtual speedboat ride
If your curiosity rises to a new high after hearing phrases like "Pilgrim Fathers", "harbour", or "urban farming", then this virtual walk foraying into the history of Rotterdam is for you!
We will commence this Online Experience with a stroll through the streets of Delftshaven, which is a well-preserved part of the city. In 1620, the Pilgrim Fathers, who were in exile then, sailed to Britain from Leiden and then embarked on the Mayflower to the United States from Delftshaven. As we walk along, you will see and hear about the marks this journey left on the city and what it all means today. We will then set out on a high-speed water-taxi ride to savour views of the picturesque harbour. This is the world's first floating harbour, and we will spend some time here appreciating its beauty and significance.
I will aim to make this tour as informative and enjoyable as possible - if any of the three subjects has your special interest, then we can dedicate more time to your favourite subject. Just let me know!
About this experience
- Please have a good internet connection and zoom app installed on your phone or laptop
- The instructions to join the meeting will be sent via email shortly after the booking
Know before you go
- This tour involves walking and travelling to different places; at times, the mobile network may be weak, and the picture may not be clear. However, we will attempt to minimise such disruptions
- You can book this tour for 125 EUR and invite up to 10 friends and family to join this activity with you from all over the world
- Since these are live tours, they may be subject to last minute cancellation due to inclement weather, Internet disruptions or other unforeseen circumstances.
Meet your Host
Ton Van Garderen
I am a Social Geographer and a certified national tour guide, I have a strong interest in history, architecture, art, society. In 1986, I graduated in Social Geography. Thereafter I worked for the city of Amsterdam in town-planning. There I discovered that office life is not my cup of tea. In 1994, I decided to make a living out of guiding in Amsterdam and other Dutch towns. I never regretted that decision. Working with people and sharing knowledge is big fun!
From USD 135 / Group
- Fully refundable in case of any cancellation upto 2 days before the tour.