Get the authentic Colombian feel at Old Town Tunja
We will start this adventure at the imposing white marble Bolivar square, which is 1000 ft above sea level. We will visit three of the seventeen main churches carved on wood and gold inside, where catholic and indigenous beliefs are mixed.
Upto 10 people
- Real-time experience streamed live from Tunja, Colombia
- Visit the main churches in the city and explore their wood and gold carvings
- Soak in the colonial vibe of the Old Town at its 500-year-old mansions
- Explore what day-to-day life, gastronomy, and culture look like in the Andes
Tunja is a historic town in the Colombian Andes, founded by Gonzalo Suárez Rendón in 1539 on the site of Hunza, a pre-Hispanic Muisca settlement. Almost nothing is left of the indigenous settlement, but much colonial architecture remains, standing almost untouched by time. Join me on this live-streamed online experience to explore the town and its unique history.
We will begin our journey from the Plaza de Bolívar, which is located at an elevation of 1000 ft above sea level. As we admire three of the seventeen main churches in town - including the main cathedral - I will tell you more about the wood and gold carvings that decorate them, and how indigenous and catholic beliefs are synthesised in their modes of worship. We will then move on to admire two grand colonial mansions, standing tall at almost 500 years old and hence the best preserved on the continent. A visit to a 17th-century fountain will follow, and is sure to fill you with awe.
In addition to gaining an understanding of the colonial times, we will also get to see and understand the day-to-day life of people living in the Andes today. During our tour, we will also see some icons of gastronomy in the city - after all, food offers one of the most direct insights into the culture of any given place! Finally, before we say our goodbyes, we will indulge in a small trivia and knowledge contest, and if you are lucky, you will get a chance to win signed online postcards and photos.
I look forward to hosting you on this tour!
About this experience
- Please have a good internet connection and Zoom app installed on your phone or laptop
- The instructions to join the meeting will be sent via email shortly after the booking
Know before you go
- Please sign in to the Zoom app five minutes prior to the beginning of the experience
- This tour involves traveling to various places, and at times the internet connection may be weak. However, we will attempt to minimize such disruptions (only for outdoor tours)
- You can book this tour either for 50 USD for a group of 3 screens OR as a private session for 100 USD for up to 10 screens joining this activity with you from all over the world. You will see the option to book this experience as a private tour on the checkout page if it is available for that time slot
- Since these are live tours, they may be subject to last minute cancellation due to inclement weather, Internet disruptions or other unforeseen circumstances.
Meet your Host
Leonardo Hortua Quevedo
I have been a tour guide for four years and have a BA in English and French for tourism. I am a passionate backpacker and have travelled around Colombia with 10 to 30 people, living and experiencing the real Colombia full of colours, flavours and authentic activities. I focus my guiding services on culture, eco-tourism, and architecture, thereby sharing my beautiful country from another frame. I look forward to hosting you on this Online Experience.
From USD 50 / Group
- Fully refundable in case of any cancellation upto 2 days before the tour.