Discover the history and strange happenings of Ilfracombe's seafront
Ilfracombe has been settled since the Iron Age Ilfracombe comprised two distinct communities; a farming community around the parish church called Holy Trinity, parts of which date from the 12th century, and a fishing community around the natural harbour. Because of the natural layout of the harbour, Ilfracombe became a significant safe port on the Bristol Channel. It also had trade routes between Kinsale and Tenby, strengthening the port. In 1208 it was listed as having provided King John with ships and men to invade Ireland. Whilst on the walk, you will hear about some of the town’s iconic buildings; for example, Ilfracombe Hotel was built in the town's Victorian tourist heyday and was the town's first purpose-built luxury hotel. Opened on May 15, 1867, the imposing building occupied a prime site bordering the sea, overlooking Capstone Hill and Wildersmouth beach. The George & Dragon pub Dating back to 1360, the oldest pub in Ilfracombe is a traditionalist’s dream: with wooden beams, large fireplaces and, if you’re lucky, a ghost or two, it’s a throwback to the pubs of old. Fore Street, one of Ilfracombe's oldest streets, hears tales of smuggling and other stories.
1 Hour 30 Minutes
Upto 10 people
- Learn about the Ilfracombe hotel and the George & Dragon pub
- Stroll through the harbourside of Ilfracombe
Your experience starts outside the Landmark Theatre, once the location of the grandest victorian hotel in North Devon. You will meet your tour guide Mark, and as you venture along the route, Mark will reveal the fascinating history of the Seafront and Harbourside and its importance in the development of Ilfracombe. You'll discover how the area was created and marvel at the engineering masterpieces that have stood the test of time. Although the Harbourside may no longer be the commercial trading hub it once was, you'll see how it has been adapted to suit the modern-day. With leisure activities galore. This experience truly celebrates both the town's vibrancy and Ilfracombe's maritime heritage.
This is a walking tour of approximately 1.2 miles.
- Please have a good internet connection and the Zoom app installed on your phone or laptop
- The instructions to join the meeting will be sent via email shortly after the booking
Know before you go
- Please sign in to the Zoom app five minutes before the beginning of the experience
- This tour involves travelling to various places, and the internet connection may sometimes be weak. However, we will attempt to minimize such disruptions
- You can book this tour for 75 GBP for a group of 3 screens or a private session for 125 GBP for up to 10 screens joining this activity with you from all over the world. You will see the option to book this experience as a private tour on the checkout page if it is available for that time slot
- Since these are live tours, they may be subject to last minute cancellation due to inclement weather, Internet disruptions or other unforeseen circumstances.
Meet your Host
Mark runs a Ghost hunting company, providing professional ghost-hunting nights and walking tours in Ilfracombe North Devon England. Are you interested in the Paranormal? Or looking for a different kind of experience? Join us on our walking Tours and learn about the ghosts, myths, legends, and History of Ilfracombe. We are waiting for you!
From USD 95 / Group
- Fully refundable in case of any cancellation upto 2 days before the tour.