The Westman Islands Tour
The Westman Islands are 15-18 islands, depending on how they are classed, and about 30 skerries sand rock pillars located off the mainland’s south coast. The islands were formed by submarine volcanic eruptions along a 30-km long fissure lying southwest to northeast. For many years Heimaey was one of Iceland´s largest fishing stations. During the primary season, people from all places and walks of life flocked here to work long hours and earn money. The population of the town trembled, and the number of boats multiplied. Today, ships are larger and more technologically advanced. Production has moved from land-based freezing plants to factory ships. Consequently, the hustle and bustle of the primary season is much a thing of the past.
- Visit the puffins, museums, and possibly walk up to the crater of the recently-erupted volcano.
- The eruption on Heimay began on 23rd January 1973, just before two o´clock in the morning.
- A fissure opened on the island's eastern side, only 300-400 metres from Kirkjubæir, the most easterly houses in the town.
Know before you go
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- A tour option with rib boat and safari cruise is also available.
- Prices are per vehicle, not per person. When booking for 1-3 passengers, you select 1 in “Transfer 1-3 persons (per vehicle)”, but you choose two if you want two vehicles.
- The same applies when booking for 4-8 passengers.