3-Hour Reykjavik Traditional Food Tour
Try the real deal traditional Icelandic cuisine on this 3-hour authentic Icelandic food tour. The famous hot dog, smoked puffin, lamb soup, fermented shark, Minke whale steak and a delicious Skyr dessert await!
- Get oriented with the history and food culture of Reykjavik
- Try at least ten traditional foods from Iceland
- Tips on food, fun & drink for the rest of your stay in Reykjavik
Enjoy authentic Icelandic cuisine on this 2-hour food tour of Reykjavik. Get a sense of the history of the country while enjoying delicious and exciting treats. Get oriented into the Reykjavik city centre and walk around trying at least 10 unique, traditional Icelandic foods - from the famous hot dog, smoked puffin, lamb soup, and fermented shark, to Minke whale steak and a delicious Skyr dessert - in the best restaurants.
Meeting the Tour Guideexpand_more
- Meet your guide at Ingolfstorg Square in the center of Reykjavik by the two stone high seat pillars (Over 2 meters high). The square is at the beginning of Austurstræti (Austurstræti 1) and is squared off by the streets Aðalstræti, Hafnarstræti, Veltusund, and Vallarstræti.
Sæta Svínið Gastropubexpand_more
- Begin the tour with a visit to the very popular Gastropub Sæta Svínið or The Pretty Pig.
- Start off with a small appetizer of a Smoked Puffin with a Crowberry Liqueur Sauce and some Icelandic goat cheese.
Hressó or Hressingarskálinnexpand_more
Make your way to Hressó to enjoy the delicious Icelandic sheep soup, also known as "Iceland in a bowl", for it is the most important dish in traditional Icelandic cuisine.
- Proceed to visit Bæjarins Besta. This hot dog stand has been in operation since 1937 and will allow you to gauge what the hype around our hot dogs is about!
- Head to the legendary Seabaron by the Old Reykjavik Harbour.
- Sample Icelandic Lobster Soup and a piece of Minke whale steak.
- If you are up for it, try a small piece of the dreaded Icelandic fermented shark.
- Experience Icelandic-style Fish & Chips here: fresh fish in a light batter with some new potatoes.
- Finish our easy semi-circular walk downtown back at the Sæta Svínið for a delicious Skyr Dessert and an Icelandic drink of your choice. This option is not available during the daytime or on weekends, but we have an alternative ready in that case, too!
What to bring
- Please dress according to the weather - in Iceland, that means to be prepared for any kind of weather!
Know before you go
- Our food tour gives you a taste of traditional Icelandic cuisine which includes both meat, fish, and dairy. We are not able to meet any special requirements regarding the food.
- Please be at Ingolfur Square 5 minutes before the starting time of our walking tour together.
- If you walk down Laugavegur (The main shopping street) please just continue all the way down until you come to the square always walking straight down until you can't continue further. On the Ingolfur square itself, you can see Kvosin a small grocery market and Center Hotel Plaza.
Ingólfur Square, Reykjavík, Iceland
- Fully refundable in case of any cancellation upto 2 days before the tour.