2.5-Hour Private Walk Through The City Centre Of Ypres
Step back in time and discover the medieval origins of Ypres on this tour, starting from the St Maartens Cathedral. Walk to the Market Square, admiring the magnificent Cloth Hall and the city's medieval character. Despite being completely destroyed during World War 1, Ypres was meticulously reconstructed, and your guide will share interesting anecdotes about the reconstruction process and the significance of Menin Gate, a British Memorial Monument honouring missing soldiers.
- Admire the beauty of St Maartens Cathedral
- Stroll through the Market Square while listening to interesting stories
- Pay a respectful visit to the Menin Gate
Itinerary Expand All Collapse All
Ypres Walking Tour expand_more
- Trace the roots of the origin of Ypres right from its medieval history on this experience. We will begin from the spot where the first count of Flanders built a settlement and a small chapel; on the same spot, today stands the gigantic St Maartens Cathedral.
- Your guide will tell you how the city got its name while we walk to the Market Square with its magnificent Cloth Hall, which is one of the largest civil buildings in Europe.
- As we walk you through the centre, you will notice the medieval character of the city, but nothing is further from the truth! Ypres was the battleground between the French and Germans during World War 1; the city was completely destroyed, and all that was left were ruins. It took a while for the people of Ypres to rebuild everything. We will hence see the reconstructed city almost exactly as it was during the war!
- We will have a look at some interesting characteristics of the reconstruction and learn about the history and significance of Menin Gate, a British Memorial Monument built to commemorate the 55,000 soldiers who went missing during the war and never got a proper burial in a grave. Over the past 80 years till today, people from all over the world have come to the Menin Gate to listen to the Last Post, bugle pipes blasting away the single evening at 20h00, to remember not only the missing soldiers but also those who found a resting place around the hills of Ypres.
- Your guide will tell you many more such interesting and historical anecdotes during our tour. For instance, did you know Ypres is also called 'The city of Cats'? Join this tour to learn more!
- English-speaking guide
- Tip to the guide
- Personal expenses
For cancellations upto 2 days before the tour -Refund of 80% of the tour price.
Our guide brought Ypres' medieval history to life on this fascinating walk. The St Maartens Cathedral and Cloth Hall were simply breathtaking!
AlexanderYerevan's Treasures Unveiled
This 2.5-hour private walk around Yerevan's city centre exceeded all expectations! The guide's enthusiasm and deep knowledge of the city's history and architecture were apparent from the moment we set off. We marveled at the UNESCO-listed treasures, including the Armenian Cross-Stone and the Duduk, which added a unique touch to the experience. The Cascade Complex, with its impressive collection of international and Armenian sculptures, was a visual delight, especially the Three Statues by Botero. This tour offered a perfect balance of history, culture, and art, making it an unforgettable journey into the heart of the Pink City.
SarahHistory Comes Alive
An unforgettable journey through Ypres' reconstruction post-WWI. The city's resilience and dedication to preserving its past were inspiring to witness.
MarkYerevan's Hidden Gems
City's beauty revealed!
SofiaA Poignant Experience
Learning about the Menin Gate and its significance was a touching moment on this tour. The Last Post ceremony is a powerful reminder of the sacrifices made.
AidenYpres: A Tale of Two Eras
Our knowledgeable guide expertly intertwined Ypres' medieval origins with its WWI history, creating a truly unique experience in this reconstructed city.
HanaEnthralling Ypres Journey
Captivating and emotional.
MeeraUnearthing Ypres' Secrets
We discovered so many fascinating stories and historical anecdotes about Ypres, including why it's called 'The City of Cats.' A captivating experience!
SofiaArt Lover's Dream
SamuelA Trip Back
Ypres' history, enthralling!
JuanitaYerevan's Cultural Mosaic
LouisWar and Remembrance
An emotional journey through Ypres' wartime history, accompanied by our compassionate guide. The Menin Gate and its stories will stay with me forever.
Exploring the reconstructed city centre of Ypres was a fascinating experience. Our guide shed light on the city's resilience and its incredible reconstruction efforts.
WeiYpres: A City Reborn
This private walk through Ypres showcased the city's transformation, from medieval roots to post-WWI rebuilding. A truly memorable and enlightening experience!
IsabellaYpres: A Tale of Resilience and Remembrance
Our private walk through Ypres' city centre was a truly emotional and enlightening journey. Our knowledgeable guide took us through the city's rich medieval history, showcasing the St Maartens Cathedral and the Cloth Hall, before unveiling Ypres' harrowing experiences during World War I. As we explored the reconstructed city, our guide's engaging storytelling brought the past to life, enabling us to appreciate the resilience of the people of Ypres. The Menin Gate and the Last Post ceremony were particularly poignant, reminding us of the sacrifices made by thousands of soldiers. This tour provided an insightful and meaningful exploration of Ypres, leaving us with a profound admiration for the city and its people.
GraceWar Stories Unfold
MariaYpres: A Testament to Strength
Witnessing Ypres' perseverance after WWI was inspiring. The reconstructed city centre and the Menin Gate left a profound impression on us.
ThomasA City's Soul Unveiled
Our guide revealed the captivating spirit of Ypres on this private walk. The medieval character and war history were brilliantly intertwined, making for a truly unforgettable tour.
LilaPink City Magic
USD 210 / group