2.5-Hour Private Walking Tour Of District Six Museum In Cape Town
Discover the heart of District Six, a community that was forcibly removed and demolished during the apartheid era. Visit the District Six Museum to learn about the vibrant community life that existed before the forced removals. Explore the Cape Castle, a historic site that was once a key location in the slave trade, and learn about its dark and complex past. Wander through the vibrant streets and neighbourhoods of the area, and see the colourful street art and graffiti that adorns many of the buildings.
- Learn about the history of District Six and the forced removals at the District Six Museum
- Explore the Cape Castle and discover the brutal history of slavery in South Africa and the Cape region
- See the vibrant street art and graffiti that adorns the buildings of the revitalized District Six area
Itinerary Expand All Collapse All
Tour of District Six Museum in Cape Town expand_more
- Welcome to District Six, a vibrant and diverse community that was forcibly removed and demolished by the apartheid government in the 1970s. This tour will take you on a journey through the history and culture of District Six, from its vibrant past to its resilient present.
- First stop: District Six Museum. The museum tells the story of the forced removal and destruction of the community and features personal stories and artifacts from former residents. You will learn about the vibrant community life that existed in District Six before it was destroyed and the ongoing efforts to rebuild and remember the area.
- Next, we will head to Cape Castle, a historic site that was once a key location in the slave trade. You will learn about the brutal history of slavery in South Africa and the Cape region and how it shaped the development of the country. The castle also has a fascinating history as a military fortification and prison, and you will explore its dark and complex past.
- After the Cape Castle, we will return to the District Six area to explore the vibrant streets and neighbourhoods that have sprung up in the wake of the forced removals. You will see the colourful street art and graffiti that adorns many of the buildings and learn about the cultural and social movements that have emerged from this community.
- Finally, we will end our tour at Truth Coffee, one of Cape Town's most popular coffee shops. This unique cafe is housed in a historic building and features steampunk-inspired decor. You can enjoy a cup of their famous coffee and reflect on the history and culture of District Six.
- English-speaking tour guide
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Entrance ticket, if any
District Six, Cape Town, South Africa
For cancellations upto 2 days before the tour -Refund of 80% of the tour price.