My wife booked this tour (through Viator) instead of the cruise ship provided tour and I cannot tha
nk her enough for that! Although my wife was sick and could not go, I went. I was the only one from the cruise ship on this tour(although we did meet up with a German group at the lower cable car station). Our tour guide - Andres Rios Luci – was FANTASTIC! He had worked for the National Park and knew everyone and had a wealth of information about the island (and the different potato types) and the park. The tour price included the cable car ticket AND the limited availability hiking permit to access the peak. Be forewarned that the peak is VERY WINDY and can be quite cold. I brought gloves and a toboggan hat (very helpful). Andres provided trekking poles which were also helpful. The hike from the upper cable car station was fairly steep (climb of 163 m on a 650 m trail) but on a fairly well maintained rock trail. The view from the top (on a sunny day that I had) was GLORIOUS! We spent about 15 minutes on top and then descended and took another trail to view a crater. After that we got back in the car for the drive down. Andres stopped the car multiple times for me to take pictures (Andres wisely suggested we save the picture taking for after the hike so that we could beat the crowds going up). I cannot recommend this tour enough – it was the highlight of our 25 day cruise vacation! This was basically a private excursion(only Andres and me in his car) in an area of extreme beauty and spectacular views at a bargain price! A final word of advice – GET STARTED EARLY! Andres was waiting for me when the gang plank was deployed. This early departure allowed us to park in the upper carpark right by the cable car station and we did not have to wait at the cable car station. My only regret is that I did not tip Andres enoughafterwards.More
Review By Bruce
The reviews that you post are read by travellers around the world. They help them make informed decisions about their travel plans. Please keep in mind the following points while you are making a post:
(1) Use Appropriate Language: Please do not include any obscene language, threats, prejudicial comments, hateful language and any sexually explicit content. Though our site is not targeted towards children, we still want the content such that the general public could safely go through the website without experiencing any of the above inappropriate content.
(2) Provide actual experiences: We want actual travellers to give their experiences. Please do not provide any third party anecdotes about what you may not have experienced directly. You can write only one review for a guide at a time. If you use the guide's services again in the future, you can write a different review for that experience. The writing should be original, and not be substantially quoted from other sources or infringe on other people's copyright.
(3) Balanced and Relevant opinion: You should try and give a balanced opinion about your experiences. Please make sure that what you write about would be relevant to other travellers who may be planning their trip. You are not allowed to provide advertisements or any other information that we may deem to be commercial in naturein your reviews.
(4) Other points to remember: Please ensure that the review is tagged to the proper guide. Remember to follow standard email etiquette. Don't use all CAPS for the review, as it is considered impolite. Do not use excessive abbreviations or slang.
(5) If you are a guide, you cannot write a review for another guide or for yourself. Secondly, we highly encourage travellers to go back home before they write a review. Under no circumstance should the traveller write a review from the guide's own computer or smartphone. It is perfectly acceptable for a guide to send a reminder or request the traveller to write a review for him on our site.