We engaged Michael as a tour guide driver for two day trips in June 2023, (Connemara and the Burre
n) for 4 of us, my wife and I with my parents (both in their 60s). We are from the US and were visiting Ireland for the first time. On the first morning, Michael picked us up in Audi Q7 that comfortably sat the 4 of us and was stocked plenty of supplementary materials for the trip ahead. He then spread out a map of the region and talked through the plan for the first day, indicating the ways in which we could change the itinerary as we went along, depending on how the day progressed.Michael has a unique mix of qualities that make him an exceptional guide to the sights around counties Galway and Clare. On the one hand, he’s a native of Connemara and speaks Irish as his first language, so he’s truly a local who knows the area inside and out, and is able to talk in great detail on everything from historical uses of local plants to the evolution of local boat building practices. On the other, he has spent many years living abroad (Europe and Asia) and travelled extensively to more places than he could name (ask him!). Because of that, he intuitively knows how to structure a tour and communicate that knowledge to people with vastly different backgrounds and experiences. He was quickly able to suggest some modifications and added stops to the itinerary to fit what my parents were enjoying—a detour to a valley for better look at a local farm, a store specializing in Irish-style cold smoked salmon, a natural spring well off the side of the road used by bicyclists in the know. These added details, and the casualness with which we could alter our plans throughout the day, is what made the choice of a local driver-guide among the best travel decisions we’ve made. I strongly and unreservedly recommend Michael Reaney as an exceptional guide for anyone visiting the West of Ireland.More
Review By Steven
I travelled to Ireland to meet up with college friends for a reunion. We spent four wonderful days w
ith Michael in the west of Ireland. We travelled through Galway, South Mayo. Connemara and Clare. He is a brilliant story teller, covering mythology heritage and culture. He brought us foraging on the bog as well as at the sea shore. My highlight was visiting a traditional sail boat builder at work.The experience was so stress free, Michael is a true professional making the experience one of the best we ever had.More
Review By Dagmara
The reviews that you post are read by travellers around the world. They help them make informed decisions about their travel plans. Please keep in mind the following points while you are making a post:
(1) Use Appropriate Language: Please do not include any obscene language, threats, prejudicial comments, hateful language and any sexually explicit content. Though our site is not targeted towards children, we still want the content such that the general public could safely go through the website without experiencing any of the above inappropriate content.
(2) Provide actual experiences: We want actual travellers to give their experiences. Please do not provide any third party anecdotes about what you may not have experienced directly. You can write only one review for a guide at a time. If you use the guide's services again in the future, you can write a different review for that experience. The writing should be original, and not be substantially quoted from other sources or infringe on other people's copyright.
(3) Balanced and Relevant opinion: You should try and give a balanced opinion about your experiences. Please make sure that what you write about would be relevant to other travellers who may be planning their trip. You are not allowed to provide advertisements or any other information that we may deem to be commercial in naturein your reviews.
(4) Other points to remember: Please ensure that the review is tagged to the proper guide. Remember to follow standard email etiquette. Don't use all CAPS for the review, as it is considered impolite. Do not use excessive abbreviations or slang.
(5) If you are a guide, you cannot write a review for another guide or for yourself. Secondly, we highly encourage travellers to go back home before they write a review. Under no circumstance should the traveller write a review from the guide's own computer or smartphone. It is perfectly acceptable for a guide to send a reminder or request the traveller to write a review for him on our site.