2-Day Maasai Tribe Experience From Nairobi
On this 2-day safari, visit a traditional Maasai village to engage with these amazing people who make up the colourful tapestry of tribal life in Kenya. This interactive experience allows you to meet the infamous warriors, revered village elders and gracious Maasai women and participate in some daily activities to learn about their traditional way of life that has not changed for generations. In addition, you will be invited to become an honorary member of the Maasai and learn how to throw a warrior’s spear and create decorative jewellery. It is a wonderful opportunity to gain an insight into Kenyan rural life.
- Learn to throw spears from Maasai warriors
- See the technique of weaving the frame of a new manyatta
- Take part in Maasai singing and dancing
Itinerary Expand All Collapse All
Day 1 - A Maasai Village expand_more
- Begin the day with a drive into the magnificent Maasai heartland, where you will be met by one of the Maasai village elders, Daniel. He will take you on tour to explain how the Maasai have managed these precious lands for centuries.
- See the daily cattle drive and learn about some of the local plants used to make medicinal remedies.
- Sit down with some young Maasai warriors, or morans, who will teach you how to throw a traditional spear or even how to climb an acacia thorn tree.
- Spend some time with the Maasai women of the village who will show you the techniques of weaving the frame of a new manyatta – a traditional Maasai homestead.
Day 2 - Maasai Life in Focus expand_more
- Begin the day back at the village by learning the traditional style of Maasai welcome with singing and dancing, which might include the extraordinary jumping dance or ‘adumu’ (this is how Maasai warriors demonstrate their prowess).
- Meet your host for the day, who has 52 siblings, and his father has 6 wives; a starkly different kind of community structure from the one we are familiar with.
- Use the time to get to know your host and enjoy the humour and warm nature of the villagers. Then, after a traditional Maasai lunch, enjoy some more dance lessons and sit with the women to learn how to make some traditional beaded jewellery.
- Head out to help some of the community members finish the manyatta build before ending the tour.
1 x nights’ accommodation at Palacina Hotel (5 stars)
One Horizon Team Dinner
On the evening of Day 1, we enjoy dinner at a restaurant the locals love in Nairobi – we always have lots of fun, and it’s a great opportunity to discuss and ask us all the questions that come to mind about the various communities and projects we visit.
Pick up and return from your hotel
Air-conditioned vehicles for transfers
Lunch and team dinner (day 1)
Breakfast and light lunch (day 2)
Water, Tea/Coffee available all-day
25-30 images of your days' activities
English-speaking Kenyan tour guide
- Tips and Gratuities
What to bring
- Warm clothing
- A sun hat and sunscreen
- If you require any medication, please bring enough for the day as there are no pharmacies close to the venue
Know before you go
- The departure is at 9.30 am.
- You will be back in the hotel by approximately 4.30 pm.
- Pick up for dinner will be at 7.00 pm and you will be back at your hotel by 9.30 pm.
Palacina Residential Hotel, Denis Pritt Road, Nairobi, Kenya
For cancellations upto 2 days before the tour -Refund of 80% of the tour price.
|1 To 10||USD 1060 Per Person|
|1 To 10||USD 530 Per Person|
|1 To 10||USD 960 Per Person|
This is a group tour
|Private Tour Price||USD 1120|
|Maximum no. of people||10|