Article cover image
The harbor of Nafpaktos in the 1920s. Archive of G. Lampakis, Byzantine and Christian Museum.

Nafpaktos: A Fortified History

Nafpaktos-Greece
Chrysostomos

Tour Guide, Nafpaktos, Greece

| 5 mins read

The Fortification of Nafpaktosin the Course of Centuries

The earliest fortification works in Nafpaktos go back to Classical Antiquity.The ancient fortification extended further than the medieval one: itincluded lowlands and coastal areas in the eastern part of the town, andattests to the great size of the ancient city. In the eastern part of the town,in the area of the Nafpaktos Xenia Hotel, the southern coastal branch ofthe fort was found. It extended to the harbor, and was protected withsquare towers. Sections of the ancient fortification were integrated to themedieval defense wall: in the western branch of the descending walls andin the eastern branch, above the Faltsoporti Gate. 

On the citadel, fragments of the ancient towers, built of well dressed stoneblocks in pseudo-ashlar, trapezoid and polygonal masonries, form thebase of the Byzantine towers. Numerous single ancient blocks have beenre-used in Byzantine and Venetian masonries.The earliest medieval fortification was erected in the Middle Byzantineperiod, during the 10th or 11th centuries, and is connected with the upgradeof Nafpaktos as capital of the thema of Nikopolis. The facts that the hilltophoused a pre-existing ancient fort, had natural water supply and was naturally defended were the reasons why the medieval fort was erected on it.The Byzantine fort was limited to the top of the hill, where the modernarchaeological site extends, while the lower town and the suburbs werenot walled. It circumscribed the hilltop from all sides, following the naturalterrain, and was strengthened with high rectangular and semi-cylindricaltowers. Both the curtain wall and the towers were built with ancient stoneblocks, rubble masonry, mortar and visible tiles. They had small openingsand rectangular battlements. During this period, the citadel did not onlyhave a prominent strategic role, but was also the administrative and religious center of the town. 

The capitulation of Nafpaktos in 1407 by the Venetians, and the needto convert it to a defensible base at the entrance of the Corinthian Gulf,introduced the design of a new defense wall which included the main partof the town and the military harbor. Documents from the archives ofVenice attest to the constant effort of the Serenissima to strengthen thedefense of Nafpaktos. It is during the First Venetian period (1407-1499) that the fortified town obtains its current form. The Venetian walls wereconstructed mainly during the 15th century and bear characteristics ofthe early Venetian defense architecture: a sloping base (scarpa), a semicylindrical moulding (cordone) which indicates the level of parapet orfloor in the interior, and a perpendicular upper wall. The interior face of theuppermost part of the wall forms a corridor protected with battlements,which are interrupted with openings for heavy weapons. The wall cornersand the gates are protected with strong semi-cylindrical bastions, both atthe western and at the eastern branch of the fortification. The emblem ofthe Serenissima, the Lion of Saint Marc, is preserved in relief plaques on thewestern tower of the harbor and on the eastern bastion of the Faltsoportigate. During the short Second Venetian period (1687-1699), which wascharacterized by difficulties, troubles and mismanagement, no importantfortification works appear to have been conducted. 

Construction works by the Ottoman Turks during the years 1499-1687and 1699-1829 were the structural reinforcement of the walls and theiradaptation to the new defense needs against fire weapons. Many of thebastions were strengthened and their top was re-formed as a flat platformwith strong low battlements and large openings, suitable to house cannons.Notable are the reconstruction works at the western branch of the sea wallprotecting the harbor, where large openings for cannons penetrate thewall base; the reinforcement of the Clock bastion with a polygonal wall;and the support of the West Gate and of the East (Faltsoporti) Gate eachwith a rectangular bastion. The walls were strengthened with strong mortar and rubble stones, while several sections, especially of their upper parts,were repaired and filled in. Guard outposts were added along the curtainwalls, over gates and in towers. The bastion known as ‘Dapia tou Tsaous’(Tsaous’ bastion), which stands alone on the slope of the fourth zone,dates to the late Ottoman period. It has an austere symmetrical design. Ithas a ground plan in the shape of a horse-shoe and large battlements forthe placement of cannons. The entrance is located at the northern side,where a stone-built spiral ramp leads, suitable for the transport of cannons. 

According to the extant historical sources the 18thcentury was a period of decline for Nafpaktos,which was the see of a rather poor sancak.Nevertheless, there was intensive buildingactivity during this period. Big battles did not take place in Nafpaktos in the Greek Revolutionof 1821, and the town wasthus preserved with only minor damages. Large-scalerepairs in the defensewalls were not conducted,though it is possible that afew parts were filled in orreinforced. 

In the end of the 19thcentury the defense wall underwent small-scale destruction, such as the demolitionof the East Gate (Gate of Salona) and the southeasternbastion, as well as the penetration of the curtain wall forroad construction. 

As a general remark it may be noted that the major part ofthe upper Nafpaktos fortifications date to the Byzantineperiod, while numerous sections of the ancient acropolisare preserved in the upper zones. The lower zones havebeen constructed to a great extent during the First Venetianperiod, and they include several later reinforcements andimprovements of the Ottoman period.