In the initial stage there stood only an unsightly church. In 1660-70s the construction of today’s structure was completed as a vaulted basilica. Remains of the old beautiful frescoes can still be seen along with several cross-stones. Concurrently with the church, the hall with the triple-dome bell tower was built.
Both entrances, as well as the windows with their affluent decoration, distinguish themselves from the general simple and modest exterior of the church. The multi-color masonry is also quite pleasing for the beholder’s eye. The cupola drum and the pediment are laid with combination of dark and light tufa stone in onion skin and chess board architecture.
The church and its adjacent monastery buildings form a harmonic unity in accord with the spirit of the period’s architecture.