Explore The Temples And Gates In Asakusa Over A 4-Hour Private Walking Tour
Experience the convergence of old traditions on this tour of Asakusa by exploring the city's notable attractions, such as the Senso-Ji Temple, one of the most famous temples in Asakusa. Discover the secrets of the 'Guardians of the Gate', learn how to awaken deities, see the bustling Nakamise Shopping Street, and look at the tallest structure in Tokyo, the Tokyo Skytree.
- Offer your prayers at the Senso-Ji Temple, one of the most famous temples
- Learn about the Guardians of the Gate
- Stroll through the Nakamise Shopping Street
- Witness the magnificent Tokyo Skytree at the banks of the Sumida River
Itinerary Expand All Collapse All
Asakusa Tour expand_more
- Meet the tour guide and explore the beautiful sights of Asakusa. The charm of Asakusa lies in the convergence of old traditions. You will see one of the most famous temples of Asakusa: Senso-Ji. Your guide will begin the tour from one of the oldest structures in the temple complex, which was built in 1618. Here you will see the idols of the 'Guardians of the Gate' - the legend behind them is that they are here to protect the temple from ill will.
- You will pass underneath the Todi Gate and head towards the Shinto Shrine, where your guide will teach you how to awaken the deities so that they listen to your prayers. He will also show you the water fountain and smoke pit where devotees go to clean themselves before entering the Shinto shrine. As you approach the main hall of the shrine, observe people offering coins and then entering the shrine to pray.
- Next on your list is the 'Five Storey Pagoda'; your guide will explain what each storey signifies according to Buddhist beliefs. The pagoda has been built to sustain earthquakes, as these are a common phenomenon in Japan. At the Hozo-Mon Gate, your guide will introduce you to its guardians as well and tell you why one idol has its mouth open while the other has its mouth closed.
- You will stroll through the bustling Nakamise Shopping Street, where your guide will show you local novelties such as Japanese sweets and souvenirs such as Maneki-Neko, Daroma toys folding fans, and yukatas, all of which you can try when you actually visit!
- The third most important gate is the Kaminaimon Gate. You will see the guardians of this gate and learn why it is called the "Gate of Thunder and Wind". This is also a popular spot for photography enthusiasts. Your guide will end the experience with you at the banks of the Sumida River with views of Tokyo Sky-tree, the tallest structure in the city.
- English-speaking tour guide
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Entrance tickets, if any
Guest's Hotel in Tokyo or Asakusa Culture Tourist Information Center
For cancellations upto 2 days before the tour -Refund of 80% of the tour price.
EdgarA Wonderful Way to Spend a Day
The Asakusa tour was a wonderful way to spend a day in Tokyo. The Senso-Ji temple and its surrounding gates were stunning and full of history. The guide was informative and friendly, and the shopping street was a fun addition. I highly recommend this tour!
HasmikBeautiful Temples and Gates
The temples and gates in Asakusa were absolutely beautiful. The guide on the tour was friendly and knowledgeable, and I learned a lot about the history and culture of the area. The shopping street was also a great way to pick up some souvenirs. I highly recommend this tour!
OndrejA Spiritual Journey Through Asakusa
I had an amazing experience exploring the temples and gates of Asakusa with our knowledgeable guide. The Senso-Ji temple complex was beautiful, and learning about the history and significance of each structure was fascinating. I especially enjoyed the explanation of the "Guardians of the Gate" idols and their role in protecting the temple. The Shinto shrine was a peaceful retreat, and our guide taught us how to awaken the deities before praying. The Nakamise Shopping Street was a lively and fun place to explore, and I loved trying the local sweets and souvenirs. The views of the Tokyo Sky-tree from the Sumida River were breathtaking, and the perfect way to end the tour.
ZenA Serene Journey Through Asakusa
I had a wonderful time exploring the temples and gates of Asakusa. Our guide was very knowledgeable and made the experience both informative and peaceful. The Senso-Ji temple complex was beautiful, and I loved learning about the history of each structure. The Shinto shrine was a tranquil oasis, and the purification rituals before entering were a unique experience. The Nakamise Shopping Street was a great place to try local treats and purchase souvenirs. The Kaminaimon Gate was stunning, and the views of the Tokyo Sky-tree from the Sumida River were breathtaking. Overall, a serene and spiritual journey.
DaliahAn Enlightening Tour of Asakusa
The tour of Asakusa's temples and gates was an enlightening experience. Our guide was very knowledgeable and taught us about the history and significance of each structure we visited. The Senso-Ji temple complex was beautiful, and the explanation of the "Guardians of the Gate" idols was fascinating. The Shinto shrine was a peaceful and spiritual retreat, and the purification rituals before entering were a unique experience. The Nakamise Shopping Street was a lively and fun place to explore, and I loved trying the local treats and souvenirs. The Kaminaimon Gate was a highlight, and the views of the Tokyo Sky-tree from the Sumida River were breathtaking. Highly recommended.
EthanIntriguing Todi Gate
USD 180 / group