8 Days Backpacking tour itinerary for Mount Kenya: Technical Climbing Experience Of Mount Kenya's SE Face
Embark on a challenge to conquer the second highest picks in Africa, Batian & Nelion peak of Mount Kenya technical climbing adventure. We have two section of routes for technical climbing' the SE Face and the North Face Climbing trails.
Day 1 Nairobi – Old Moses Camp 3300 m
Depart Nairobi for Nanyuki, and proceed to Mt Kenya National Park Sirimon gate. Follow the track uphill for 10 kms to Old Moses.
Day 2 Liki North 3993 m
Follow the trail around the head of a large valley, crossing several small streams to reach the crest of the ridge between the Otulili and Liki North Valleys.
Day 3 Shipton’s Camp 4250 m
Ascend the west side of the valley, over a ridge, then down into the Mackinder Valley to meet the direct route. From here, we follow Mackinder Valley.
Day 4 Austrian Hut 4700m
Arise at 2:00 a.m., and depart for the Lenana summit for sunrise. This section is a long and hard with tough scree.
After enjoying the views, descend to Austrian Hut, your base before climbing Nelion.
Day 5 Nelion and Batian summit 5199 m to Ian Howell Hut 5100 m
Arising at 3:30 am, cross the Lewis Glacier and head up to the base of Nelion, arriving at the top at around 1:00 pm.
Traverse the Gate Of Mist to Batian summit and then return to Nelion and Ian Howell Hut.
Day 6 Mintos Hut (Halls Tarn) 4200 m
Abseil down to the bottom about 9 ropes, to Austrian Hut for breakfast. Continue down to Mintos Hut.
Day 7 Meru Bandas 3000 m
Descend to Meru Mt Kenya Bandas above Chogoria, following the Gorges Valley. Enjoy hot showers and a well-earned sleep.
Day 8 Nairobi
Carry on down through the bamboo and indigenous forest to Bairunyi for your transport back to Nairobi.
Return transfer Nairobi -Nanyuki/Chogoria-Nairobi
3 meals per day while trekking
8 days Mt. Kenya trek
7 nights accommodation while trekking
2 transfer from Nanyuki/Chogoria- park gate- return
Tea, Coffee and drinking water provided.
All government park fees
English Speaking Mountain Guides and Porters & experienced chef.
Accomodation at Nanyuki Simbas lodge or Similar on D/B/B meal plan.
Certificate after successful Climbing
Two Man tent accommodation in the Mount but also mountain huts available at an extra cost for those who desire to upgrade.
First and last Night accommodation in Nairobi
Optional Tour and activities diverting from the main itinerary.
Climbing gears (most items available for hire at a reasonable fee)
Travel insurance, but can be arranged at guest request and expenses.
Tips to guide porter's and other service staff ( Optional but recommended)
Items & expenditures of personal nature
NB: We ensure clients get enough and plenty of well cooked food.
* You can extend the climb with a safari either camping or lodge or beach holiday.
NB:You can hire some of the equipments and items available at a reasonable cost.
* Lists of Climbing Gears/Kits
TECHNICAL CLIMBING GEAR (Recommended minimum items)
The weather can vary hugely but commonly you would climb in quite a few layers.
For example a base layer, insulated Gillet, softshell jacket, hardshell jacket, thin softshell trousers, hat under your helmet, liner socks inside your climbing shoes and possibly close-fitting fingerless gloves. You may also need to throw on a warm belay jacket at stances.
- Pair of 50m half or twin ropes
- Climbing Harness
- Helmet (& warm hat/balaclava to fit under it)
- Rock shoes (recommended not to have too tight a fit and consider wearing thin socks inside)
- Belay/rappel plate to suit double rope above
- 3 HMS Karabiners
- 2 locking Karabinas
- 4+ short slings
- 2x Prussic loops
- Nuts/wires size 1-9
- Cams size approx 0.5, 1.5, 2.5 (more if you have them) to suit cracks approx 20-50mm wide
- 5 long quickdraws/extenders with snap gates
- Small (- 25L) climbing pack; Large enough for a spare warm belay jacket, gloves/mitts, emergency bivvy/blizzard bag,
- 1 Litre of water, sweets, chocolate, camera.
Note, for a crossing of the gate of the mists between Batian and Nelion, B1 boots, crampons and an ice axemay be required subject to snow/ice conditions.
Mount Kenya Technical Climbing Kits Check list.
This kit list is specifically for those planning to climb the technical peaks of Batian and Nelion.
- 80-100 Litre Duffle Bag (optional but useful before climb & to leave gear at hotel)
- 65-75 Litre Rucksack (for a porter to carry your main gear)
- Waterproof Rucksack Cover
->- Small Waterproof Stuff Sacks
OUTER - SHELL
- Large, lightweight umbrella (can usually buy in Kenya)
- Waterproof shell jacket
- Waterproof shell trousers
- Waterproof Gaiters
- Warm Insulated Jacket (fleece/insulated)
- Microfleece/woollen top(s)
- Softshell Jacket (optional but useful)
- Insulated Gillet (optional but useful)
- Trekking Trousers (synthetic) zip-off ones are good x2-3
- Shorts (to cover thighs)
- Long sleeve Base Layer top(s) (synthetic)
- Leggings/Running Tights (optional)
- Underwear (synthetic dries quicker!)
- Warm Hat (to cover ears)
- Buff (optional but very useful)
- Wide-brim Sun Hat or Cap with neck veil
- Sun Glasses
- Thick Insulated Gloves or Mitts
- Thin liner Gloves (optional but useful)
- Liner Socks (optional)
- Good Trekking Socks
- Waterproof Trekking Boots (NOT trekking shoes)
- Trainers/ general shoes/ Flipflops/ sandals
GENERAL TRAVEL/CITY CLOTHING (left at the hotel)
- General Sweatshirt/tops
- General T-Shirts/shirts etc x2-3
- General Socks x4-5
- Underwear x4-5
- 3-4 Season Sleeping Bag (comfort -5degC or lower)
- Sleeping bag liner cotton/fleece/silk (optional)
- Waterproof stuff sack for Sleeping Bag
- Thick Foam Mat or Self-Inflating Mat
- LED Headtorch & spare batteries
- Watch with light and alarm
- Camera, memory card & batteries (optional)
- Solar charger (optional)
- Old unlocked phone handset (optional)
- Photocopies of passport
- Flight details
- Student card (if relevant)
- Insurance policy details
- Yellow Fever cert. (if relevant)
- Waterproof wallet for papers
- Cash/bank cards
- Notebook/Diary Pencil + Biro (optional)
- Books, Maps & Information (optional)
- Cards / Games (optional)
REPAIR KIT (optional but useful)
- Gaffer / Duck Tape
- Super Glue
- Cable ties
- Needle + extra strong thread
- 2x 1-litre drinks bottles
- Favourite high energy snacks/ energy drink powder
- Toilet roll in plastic bag + spare bag
Earplugs (optional but recommended!)
- Walking Poles (optional but useful)
PERSONAL WASH KIT
- Antibacterial hand gel
- Wet wipes (optional)
- Toothbrush with cover
- Shampoo and or Shower gel
- Shave Kit + Mirror (optional)
- Clothes wash liquid (optional)
PERSONAL MEDICAL KIT (suggested contents)
- Paracetamol tablets
- Ibuprofen (tablets/gel)
- Antiseptic Wipes
- Latex Gloves
- Adhesive Plasters
- Blister Plasters
- Zinc Tape
- Crepe Bandage
- Sterile Dressing
- Antihistamines (optional)
- Rehydration Sachets
- Antiseptic Cream
- Sunblock Cream
- Lip Salve (with SPF)
- Knee/Ankle Support
- Personal Medications eg Anti-Malaria Tablets, Inhalers, Epipen etc
Type of Tour
This tour is offered throughout the year on the following days of the week.
Other Tours by this guide
Get an unrestricted magnificent view of the snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest point in Africa while going on an ...
Embark on the most scenic hiking trail to ascent to the Mount Kenya summit. With biodiversity, beauty and best sceneries ...
Ascend Africa's highest peak via the Machame (Whiskey) route, which offers you a stunning scenic slide show on the way to the ...
Travel across the largest parks in Kenya - the Tsavo National Park (East and West), beginning from Nairobi or any coastal Town of ...
Go on one of the most popular trips for watching the big 5; the two parks Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru make for a perfect ...